One of the elegant and bold choices for sofas is a while leather sofa. It can provide a very modern and sleek look to your living room. However, it takes a courageous soul to buy a white couch. This shade is the perfect background and the hub for all stains: dirt, spills, dust, pet hair, good crumbs, oils, and even fingerprints. All these stains pop brightly on white leather. The chances of getting your couch stained grow exponentially if you have children at home.
Although you can buy expensive leather cleaning detergents, they contain toxic elements that can cause skin irritation and many other unpleasant symptoms. The best alternative is to clean it with a homemade cleaner with all the domestic ingredients.
Cleaning A White Leather Couch With Baking Soda
Baking soda is a magical ingredient that can help you get rid of all stains and also absorb extra moisture and oils. These characteristics make it the perfect ingredient to clean porous surfaces like leather. So how exactly do you clean a couch with baking soda?
- 1 TBS of baking soda
- 1 TBS Borax (A common household non-toxic chemical found in laundry and cleaning products)
- 100 ml of water
- Sponge or clean cloth
- Put borax and baking soda in a bowl, pour the water and stir until all components are well-combined. Adjust the quantity of ingredients depending on the size of the sofa and stain.
- Use a sponge or clean cloth to apply the solution to the affected area. Put the sponge in the bowl and apply it to the stain.
- Treat and rub it gently until you see the stain dissolving and the area regains its original colour.
- Be very careful while applying, so you don’t end up scratching the leather.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean tougher spots on the white leather couch. For flat surfaces, a sponge and cloth would work just fine.
- Use a smaller tool with thinner ends for hidden spots like crevices, stitches, zippers, and all the tiny places where the cloth can’t reach. A toothbrush is perfect because it’s small and can easily reach all the tiny nooks can crannies.
- Once the cleaning part is done, wipe the surface with a clean cloth until completely dry. Don’t leave any residues of the cleaning solution on the leather as it can damage the fabric in the long run.
Cleaning White Leather Couch That Has Yellowed
Don’t just get tricked into the good looks of a white leather sofa because this particular type of furniture is prone to yellowing. However, you can get rid of all the yellow marks and prevent them from yellowing if you take good care of them. People usually notice the yellowing when it is already too late, and the couch’s appearance begins to deteriorate. By following these simple tips, you can delay the yellowing process and enjoy your couch for a little longer.
Causes of Yellowing On White Leather Sofas
A natural process of oxidation causes yellowing on white leather couches. When oxidation occurs, the fibres that interact with each other break down. It’s how leather behaves when exposed to elements like dust, air, and sun over a prolonged time. All leather types undergo this process, but it is particularly visible on white leather for obvious reasons. You can’t prevent it from happening altogether, but you can slow it down. If you keep the leather well-oiled with furniture conditioners, you can extend the time period for the yellowing to occur.
How To Restored Already Yellowed White Leather
Cleaning your couch with a baking soda solution is a highly efficient remedy to take care of several stains on white leather. However, it won’t be able to restore yellowed leather to its former glory. Sadly, there is not much you can do to reverse the oxidation process once it has begun. Some people just accept the ageing condition of the leather and understand that yellow is just a part of the ageing process. If you are not one of those people, just make sure to regularly clean and moisturise your couch. It will help prevent the yellow tinting and keep the white glow for years.
For all the upholstery related problems, Lounge Master, Sydney is your one solution to all the problems.